The cold weather is here! CAP-HC is accepting applications for the 2017-2018 Energy Assistance Program (EAP) season. EAP is a federally-funded program that provides financial assistance to low income households to help them maintain electricity and heat during the winter months.
Assistance is available to all eligible Hennepin County residents, including the City of Minneapolis.
CAP-HC staff is available at various locations throughout Hennepin County to accept applications and answer client questions.
Important notes regarding CAP-HC’s Energy Assistance Program:
- Energy Assistance Applications are available now through May 31st, 2018.
- Both renters and homeowners can apply.
- It is a grant, not a loan. Benefit recipients do not have to pay the money back.
- The grant is intended to cover a portion of the household’s electric and heating bill. It is important that those who receive assistance continue to make payments and/or request a reasonable payment plan with their utility provider.
- The grant is paid directly to the electric and heat provider.
- Homeowners may be eligible for emergency heating unit (ex. furnace, boiler) repair or replacement.
- Applicants are encouraged to apply before they face an emergency.
- Applications are processed on first-come, first-served basis.
Eligibility for the program is based upon income guidelines. Benefit amount is based on household size, income, and consumption.
How to apply?
The 2017-2018 EAP application may be download from the link below or requested by calling CAP-HC at 952-930-3541.