2019 Monroe Street Safety Results
- Conducted summer of 2019
- Surveys were submitted either via paper or google doc
- Surveys were available in English, Spanish, and Somali
- 186 responses
What are your concerns about Monroe St. NE?
- Speeding 51.9%
- Danger to pedestrians crossing Monroe 48.7%
- Danger to bicyclists 44.9%
- Deteriorating Sidewalks 44.4%
- Traffic flow/amount 29.9%
- Lack of curb/sunken curb 26.2%
- Street lighting 23%
- Danger to pedestrians walking along Monroe 21.9%
- Parking 20.9%
- All of the above 10.2%
- None of the above 2.7%
- Drivers going through stop signs without stopping or only slowing down without a full stop
- Rolling stops at stop signs- especially Monroe and 13th
- People running stop signs on 13th and 15th
- Hard to see stop signs (parking to close stop signs)
- Sidewalk is very narrow and should be wider
- Lack of buffer between sidewalks and cars
- Very narrow sidewalks! Doesn’t feel safe with folks speeding down. But luckily cars parked along the side as a buffer so it feels safer.
- Snow shoveling issues in winter. Very narrow this year and buses had trouble turning onto street off of Broadway
- allowing parking on the west side of the street. it should be removed
- enforcing shoveling in winter
- Turning Left onto Broadway going Southbound sometimes takes several green lights during busy time
- Railroad bridge lighting
- Danger from bike and scooter drivers
- Lack of development. Investment in the neighborhood.
Survey takers were also asked to share if they have witnessed or been part of a safety incident on Monroe?
- 72 of the 186 please responded with some story of a safety incident
Survey takers were also asked to share if they had other safety concern for Monroe?
- 57 of the survey takers had another safety concern
The stories and safety concerns shared by survey participants mostly fell into these categories:
|Category||Number of examples|
|Accidents: car, bike, pedestrian, property||26|
|General safety concerns||24|
|Stop sign concerns: running, rolling stops, not stopping for pedestrians, parking too close to stop signs||24|
|Traffic: volume and speed||18|