As a board, we commit to engaging with our city, county, and state representatives to advocate that resources and services are provided to the encampment to ensure the safety of the sheltered and unsheltered residents of Logan Park. With homelessness becoming increasingly visible in Minneapolis, the Logan Park Neighborhood Association Board supports the operation of the Logan Park encampment, as permitted by the Minneapolis Park Board and administered by Junail Anderson. During the course of the encampment’s administration, we commit to engagement with local police, city, county, state, and park officials to ensure that the encampment remains safe and well organized.
We do not believe that park encampments are suitable long-term solutions, and demand effective, pragmatic solutions from the city of Minneapolis, Hennepin County, and the state of Minnesota that will result in sheltering the encampment residents in safe transitional housing as well as long-term housing. We commit to engaging with Junail on a regular basis to maintain visibility into encampment needs, including supplies and specific advocacy actions needed to ensure they are able to operate effectively and peaceably.
-The LPNA Board of Directors 9.3.2020
Please continue to contact your elected officials to share your feedback and ask for permanent, long-term housing for our unsheltered neighbors in the encampment. You can find a template letter here. or download here.
- City Councilmember: Kevin Reich
- MPRB District 1 Commissioner: Chris Meyer
- Hennepin County Commissioner: Irene Fernando
- State Representative: Sydney Jordan
- State Senator: Kari Dziedzic
- US House Representative: Ilhan Omar
- US Senators: Tina Smith, Amy Klobuchar
- You can also email [email protected], [email protected], and [email protected] with your feedback, if you would like to learn more, or get involved.
- More information:
- Sue Watlov Phillips is the Executive Director of Metropolitan Interfaith Council on Affordable Housing (MICAH), and before that she was the ED of Elim Transitional Housing based out of Elim church and involved with the NE Food Shelf. She has provided a very detailed report on the history of homelessness.
- Heading Home Together: Minnesota’s 2018-2020 Action Plan to Prevent and End Homelessness from The Minnesota Interagency Council on Homelessness
- MPRB encampment website.
- Logan Park Sanctuary Aid Facebook Group: hot meal sign up and daily needs posted in stories